urbanization of excluded pixels

Dear all,

when I applied SLEUTH to an European metropolis, I found in the results that some (unfortunately not just one or two…) pixels of my land use classes ‘forest’ and ‘water’ which were included in my exclusion layer (!) became urban pixels during the simulation.

Anyone who ever recognized the same problem or has an idea why this could happen?

Thanks in advance for help!

Regards

/Lisa

One comment on “urbanization of excluded pixels

1. Hi Lisa

Are you sure that the exclusion values you have assigned are those for complete exclusion? The values go from 0 to 100, values over 100 are set to 100. The documentation reads:

The excluded image defines all locations that are resistant to urbanization. Areas where urban development is considered impossible, open water bodies or national parks for example, are given a value of 100 or greater. Locations that are available for urban development have a value of zero (0).

Pixels may contain any value between (0-100) if the representation of partial exclusion of an area is desired – unprotected wetlands could be an example: Development is not likely, but there is no zoning to prevent it.

Pixel value range: 0 – 255 (values > 100, are read as 100)

In the past, I’ve also seen problems of inversion, i.e. the excluded value is 100 minus what is expected.

Keith Clarke

Leave a Reply