What stat packages should the department have available?

What stat packages should the department have available?

posted 10-31-2002 02:28 PM
The geography department has licenses for S-Plus, Matlab, and SAS. I’d like to know what programs people are using do statistics. Is there a big demand for these three? Should we have something else? Opinions, please.
[Note: This message has been edited by probert]

probert
Geo King (Admin)

3 comments on “What stat packages should the department have available?

1. posted 10-31-2002 03:59 PM
    Matlab is a stranger,
    SAS an unfriendly, old aquaintaince.
    S-Plus is my hammer.
    The world is my nail.

Wils
    Geo Newbie

2. posted 11-01-2002 11:05 AM
    I use Matlab extensively, as well as its statistics toolbox, and the image toolbox on occasion. I am just beginning to discover the utility of the optimization toolbox as well.
    I find Splus essential because of the wealth of programs created by other users that already exist. I also think that S-Plus offers more statistical graphics capabilities out of the box than does Matlab. I find that the graphics capabilities of S-Plus is also the main reason why I haven’t shifted entirely to using R (the GNU S language).

Between these, almost all of my statistical needs are covered.

nagle
    Geo Newbie

3. posted 11-12-2002 10:07 AM
    Hey, the forums are back!
    Personally, I never really got the hang of S-plus. I have, however, found Matlab easy to use and to script for and invaluable, particularly with the extensions that we have.

It would be nice if we had the same Matlab, but for Windows as well. I think I recall Mark mentioning that this might occur in the near future…

Nick

nick
    Geo Newbie

Leave a Reply